Thursday, March 05, 2009

Beyond Stupidity

Last week I learned that U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, with support from President Obama, has some grandiose plans for curbing gun violence. His solution is so immensely ludicrous, I can hardly believe it's real. In fact, I didn't think it was. I thought for sure that what I read would end up at Snopes.com or something. It was just too absurd.

Well, I found a story at the DC Examiner written by Scott Ott, and I'm afraid that yes, the story is legit. So what is this brilliant idea that Mr. Holder plans to implement?

The idea is this, and please try not to laugh hysterically: People who intend to commit crimes with stolen guns will be required to register those weapons with the federal government before actually using the weapon to commit a crime.

Now is that a swell idea, or what? We are going to rely on people (criminals) who, by definition are not inclined to obey laws, to register the weapons they stole. What is the aim of such a plan? Holder says this:

"Once we have a list of all of the guns owned by potential criminals, it will be much easier to track down the origin of a weapon that's been used in a robbery or murder."


Well that's interesting, but if a robbery or a murder has taken place, I'm far more interested in discovering the identity of the person who committed the crime than I am in discovering where the weapon came from. You would think that the primary application of this plan would be to actually help catch the perpetrator of a crime. Apparently we're only to be concerned with where the weapons came from.

Leave that aside for a moment. Why would a criminal register a weapon when he knows damned good and well that, once the weapon is registered, it will be that much easier for law enforcement to locate him whether he commits a crime with the gun or not? Just how stupid do we think criminals are, anyway? The whole point of stealing a weapon is to make it more difficult to find the perpetrator, is it not?

What planet does Mr. Holder come from?

Here's another incredibly astute quote from Mr. Holder:

"Guns don't kill people. Unregistered, stolen guns kill people."


Really!!?? Only guns that are unregistered and stolen kill people? Well in that case, I'd like to suggest that we replace our military's inventory of weapons with only unregistered, stolen weapons. After all, I want our military to be able to kill people when necessary, and surely they can't do it with the registered weapons they're currently using.

Here's a newsflash for Mr. Holder: People kill people, guns don't. People occasionally use guns to kill people, but there are many, many ways to take a life. I have never heard of a gun jumping up off of a table and shooting someone of its own free will. If someone has such a story, please do tell.

Back in the early 90s, Clinton-appointed Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders was advocating something almost as assinine. She called for "Safer guns and safer bullets." I can just imagine the laughter coming from the intruder inside my house when I face him down with my "safer gun" loaded with "safer bullets."

Here's the DC Examiner story.

No comments:

Post a Comment